The road trip runs from Cedar City to Virgin, Utah via state highway 14, about 5 miles up Cedar canyon to Right Hand Canyon Road, just before Milt’s Stage Stop. When reaching the aspen forest, the road turns to dirt. Just after that there’s a road to the left which we took for about 1/4 mile to a spectacular view of the pink cliffs and wildflower meadows. After turning back to the main road we drove through the aspen forest and alpine meadows in bloom and a steep downhill grade to Kolob Reservoir, and another steep downhill run to the city of Virgin, then a left turn on state highway 9 to Springdale. The road is marked “Kolob Mountain Road” where it meets highway 9.
Highlights of the trip:
- Cedar City and west desert overlook, 5 miles up Right Hand Canyon. 50-100 mile view.
- alpine meadows with wild flowers along Kanarra Mountain
- Kolob Reservoir
- hidden gorge waterfall and condor viewing south of the reservoir where the road crosses Kolob Creek. Yes, we saw 3 condors soaring above the canyon.
- back side of Zion National Park that most tourists never see
- dinner at Jack’s bar & grill next to the Switchback Grill in Springdale with John & Sonya Swatsley
- John was able to take photos of flowers, meadows, a corral of designer horses, and mountains. John is a very successful artist who, until recently moving to Utah, has produced paintings of African wildlife and landscapes.